Military FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about using your Veteran's Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits (GI Bill) at Robert Morris University.


Does Robert Morris University participate in the Yellow Ribbon program?

Robert Morris University is honored to participate at the maximum level in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs' Yellow Ribbon Program*.

*Note: Robert Morris University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program for qualified veterans using Post 9/11 benefits at RMU.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon program is designed to supplement educational costs for those veterans covered at 100% under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. A comprehensive explanation of the Yellow Ribbon Program is available on the VA's website at:

What types of Federal VA Educational Benefits Programs can be used at RMU?

VA Educational Benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Post -9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33 (Yellow Ribbon Program)*
  • Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (T.o.E.) - Chapter 33
  • Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) - Chapter 30
  • Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) - Chapter 1607
  • Dependents Educational Assistance - Chapter 35
  • Vocational Rehabilitation - Chapter 31

For a complete listing of the Federal VA Educational Benefits Programs, go to

Is the Illinois Veteran's Grant (IVG) available at Robert Morris University?

The Illinois Veteran's Grant (IVG) is not available for students at Robert Morris University. Currently this program is restricted by the State of Illinois to students attending public colleges and universities in Illinois.

I am not sure which Federal VA Educational Benefits (GI Bill) program to apply for. Where can I find information about my eligibility?

RMU encourages all persons potentially eligible for VA Educational Benefits to apply. However, the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) or other agencies, as appropriate, make the final determination of eligibility.

Please contact the Departments of Veterans Affairs, if you do not know what your benefits are (see the next FAQ).

How do I contact the Departments of Veterans Affairs?

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website. The National Home Page address is: . You can call toll-free from the U.S. by dialing 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). For other VA benefits call 1-800-827-1000. You can also mail inquiries or claims for educational benefits to the VA Regional Processing Office. The Central Region handles claims for Illinois.

VA Regional Office
PO Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

What are the steps to getting my VA Educational Benefit payments?

To use any VA educational benefits, you must first complete the appropriate VA form and submit it to the VA. The VA Online Application can be completed by using VONAPP available at the VA website. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website at for forms and additional information on Educational Entitlements.

Note: You must be admitted to an approved degree granting program in order to receive VA Educational Benefits. You can go to our website to apply for admission to Robert Morris University at . The veteran's application fee will be waived automatically. An Admissions Counselor will be assigned to assist you through the entire Admissions process.

What should I expect to receive from the VA, after I submit a VA application for Educational Benefits?

Once the VA application is processed by the Department of Veterans Affairs, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility with detailed information about your Educational Benefits.

What else does RMU require to use my Veteran's Affairs Educational Benefits?

All interested veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility for enrollment certification at RMU.

Does RMU have a Veterans' Club?

Yes. It is called "Warriors to Scholars". For more information, contact the RMU Veteran Representative.

Do I need to do a monthly certification while I am enrolled?

Chapter 30 (Active Duty-MGIB) recipients need to inform the VA each month of enrollment. Certifying your enrollment can be done by using the VA on-line 'Web Automated Verification of Enrollment' (WAVE) at by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 877-823-2378.

Note: You do NOT need to certify your attendance, if you are receiving benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill (CH 33), REAP (CH 1607), or DEA (CH 35).

What causes debts with VA education programs?

If you decrease your training time (i.e. drop classes, leave school, etc.) and we have already processed a payment for tuition and fees, an overpayment will occur. A decrease in your credit hours could also result in changes to your housing allowance and books/supplies stipend. If the VA has already issued you a payment for the term, a debt will be created on your account.

Please contact the Debt Management Center, if you receive a debt notification from the VA. The Debt Management Center is the authoritative source of debt collection information. You can reach them at 1-800-827-0648 or e-mail them at .

What if I am called to Active Duty status while enrolled at RMU?

Please contact your Academic Advisor as soon as you receive your orders for deployment. Veterans deployed while enrolled, will have their tuition forgiven for the term in which they left.

What happens when I decide to return to RMU?

Any previously enrolled veterans may apply to return to the university and will return in the same academic standing in which they left. Returning veterans must contact the RMU VA representative on campus and complete the appropriate forms to be certified for their VA Educational Benefits.

Robert Morris University Illinois is a private, not-for-profit associate, baccalaureate, and master's degree-granting institution, accredited by the Higher learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60604, 312.263.0456) and authorized by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza Suite 333, Springfield, Illinois 62701-1377, 217.782.2551, IBHE Feedback). Robert Morris serves over 4500 students interested in getting an education that meets the demands of today's business, graphic arts, health care, culinary and technical world at its main campus in Chicago as well as at locations in Arlington Heights, DuPage, Elgin, Orland Park, Schaumburg, Springfield, Peoria and Lake County.