Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid? 

To apply for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The current year application is available at and is offered in both English and Spanish versions.   

You can add up to 10 colleges and universities to your FAFSA; once you add the school code the school should receive your results within 2-3 business days. RMU's school code is 001746.         

How do I sign my FAFSA? 

To sign your FAFSA electronically, the student and (if student is dependent) parent must both apply for a PIN (Personal Identification Number) at Your PIN takes up to 3 days to become active so it is recommended that you complete this step first in your application process. 

Is it possible to find out how much I may qualify for before filling out the FAFSA? 

Yes. You can complete the FAFSA4Caster which is a simplified version of the real application and it gives you an idea of what aid you will qualify for and how that relates to your college or universities cost of attendance. 

How much time elapses before I am notified of the amount of financial aid that I may receive?

The time between application and response varies. At RMU, if you are starting in the Summer or Fall terms, your financial aid package will be prepared any time after March 1st. Students starting in our Winter or Spring quarters should contact their Admissions Counselors. 

What is the deadline for submitting the FAFSA?

The deadline can vary depending on federal and state programs. It is best to complete the FAFSA as soon after October 1st as possible EACH YEAR. 

RMU has notified me that I am missing documents that need to be submitted in order for my financial aid to be considered complete. How do I find out what documents I need to submit? 

All applied and current students can find out what documents they are missing by visiting their MyRMU portal and clicking on the 'Financial Aid Docs' tab. Each of the items is a hyperlink to either a website or a description on what needs to be completed prior to awarding financial aid. 

If I am not a U.S. citizen, what documentation am I required to provide in order to be eligible for federal and state financial aid programs?

If you are a permanent resident, you must provide a current Alien Registration Receipt Card Form I-151, I-551, or I-551C.  You may also provide your passport that is stamped "Processed for I-551"or "Temporary Form I-551".  Other eligible non-citizens must provide Arrival-Departure Record Form I-94.

If you are undocumented, please contact your Admissions Counselor or the Financial Services Office to find out about what aid you can qualify for at RMU. 

What if my parents have not completed their taxes by my schools deadline? 

You can always use estimated income and tax amount for yourself and your parents financial information and go back at a later date to correct the information once taxes are complete. 

My sister applied for financial aid last year, but didn't receive any aid. Is it worth it for me to apply this year?

Absolutely! Your sister should apply again as well. With two family members in college, your family will incur greater educational costs; also other family circumstances or eligibility criteria may have changed. This will be taken into consideration when you apply for aid.

My brother is 27 years old and lives at home. Should he be included in the household size?

Family members should be included in the household size only if your parents can verify that they provide more than half the support for the individual.

I don't live at home with my parents. Does this mean I am an independent student?

Not necessarily. You will be considered a dependent student unless you can answer 'yes' to any of the dependency questions on the FAFSA. Please click here for a full list of dependency questions on the FAFSA.

Please note: if you feel you have a unique situation that does not meet any of the dependency criteria, please contact the Admissions Office or Financial Aid Office.

I live with my parents, but I have a child. Does this mean I am an independent student? 

Remember, financial aid comes down to financial support. If you are currently, and will continue to provide, more than one-half financial support for your child throughout the rest of the year, you are considered an independent student. If your parents are providing more than half your child's support, then you are considered a dependent student. 

My mother is thinking about taking college classes. Will I receive more aid if my mother is in college?

Parents are not included in the number in college; therefore, your mother taking classes will not affect the amount of financial aid you receive.

My father refuses to complete an application for aid with his financial information. What should I do?

If you do not meet the requirements for an independent student, it is essential that your parent(s) complete an application for aid with their financial information in order for you to be considered for state and federal aid. Explain this to your father. If all else fails, contact your Admissions or Financial Aid Counselor. Many times they can explain to parents that this information is necessary and will be kept strictly confidential.

My friend got more financial aid than I did, and I don't understand why. Her parents make more money than my parents.

There are many reasons why your friend could have received more aid. For example, the college she is attending may have more aid to offer or may have a higher cost of attendance. There may be more family members in the household that her parents are supporting. She may have earned less money from working than you did. Her family might have experienced unusually high medical expenses. These and other differences could cause two students to receive different amounts of financial aid.

It is important to remember that each student's financial aid package is designed especially for that individual and the college he/she has chosen to attend.

How do I correct the information on my FAFSA if it is incorrect?

You can log back onto the FAFSA website to view submitted FAFSA's as well as to make corrections. You simply log in and click the link that states "Make Corrections to Submitted FAFSA". You will need to create a password for each corrected FAFSA. 

Corrections should be kept to a minimum. If you have questions, please contact your Admissions Counselor or Financial Aid Office. 

My parents are divorced. I live with my mother, but my father claims me on his tax return. How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the FAFSA with your information and your mother's information. Only the parent you lived with most in the last 12 months is required to supply the necessary financial information.  If you did not live with one parent more than the other, answer in terms of the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months, or during the most recent calendar year that you actually were supported by a parent.

My parents are divorced and I live with my mother. My mother is remarried, and my stepfather hasn't adopted me. Is my stepfather required to supply his financial aid information when I apply for financial aid?

Yes. Since your mother and stepfather are married at the time you complete the FAFSA, you must include information about your stepfather.

After I applied for aid, my father got a new job. He isn't going to earn as much money from his new job as he did from his previous job. Can I receive more financial aid?

Contact the Admissions Office or the Financial Aid Office. The financial aid administrator will review your situation and make a decision regarding your financial aid award.

Do I have to go to a lending institution to get an application for a Federal Stafford and/or Federal Perkins loan?

No. The FAFSA is the application for the Federal Perkins loan and the Federal Direct Loan Program. These loans will be added to your financial aid award package automatically if you qualify for them.  

What is the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling?

The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is the legal document that each student participating in the Federal Loan Programs must complete in order to receive funding. This is your promise to pay back your loans to the Federal Government. In many cases you only fill this form out once even though you are borrowing loans each academic year. 

Entrance Counseling is also a requirement of any borrower in the Federal Loan Program. This counseling is a tool to prepare students for taking out loans and paying back the loans once you graduate OR leave school. Upon separation from your college or university you will also be required to complete Exit Counseling. 

How do I complete my Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling? 

You can complete both these requirements at You utilize your PIN from your FAFSA to log in and complete both items. 

How do my parents apply for a Federal PLUS loan?

They can apply at They will need to log on with their PIN to apply. Please note that a PLUS loan can be approved or denied based on the parents' credit history. Once the application is complete, please notify the Admissions or Financial Aid Office for further instructions. 

Robert Morris University Illinois is a private, not-for-profit associate, baccalaureate, and master's degree-granting institution, accredited by the Higher learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60604, 312.263.0456) and authorized by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza Suite 333, Springfield, Illinois 62701-1377, 217.782.2551, IBHE Feedback). Robert Morris serves over 4500 students interested in getting an education that meets the demands of today's business, graphic arts, health care, culinary and technical world at its main campus in Chicago as well as at locations in Arlington Heights, DuPage, Elgin, Orland Park, Schaumburg, Springfield, Peoria and Lake County.